Goals of the Research
- Preservation and improvement of the attractiveness of the department with respect to industry as well as in the scientific community in the field of Control of Turbulent Reacting Flows.
- Preparation of a wide variety of offers for Bachelor’s and Master’s theses as well as those for PhD theses
- International cooperation with other fields of research, universities, and industry
- Solution of research problems which require interdisciplinary cooperation
The research activities are adjusted to fit these goals. The breakdown of the activities is as follows:
- Fundamental experiments on wall-bound and free shear layers (sound, mixing, control)
- Modeling and control of reacting flows
- Projects which are directly relevant to industry
Within this field there exists close cooperation between the individual institutions of the faculty. The areas of interest encompass experimental, numerical, and analytical investigations in cooperation with other departments covering fundamental as well as applied areas. Tool development, meaning the development of numerical and experimental instruments, is a part of the research activities. Numerical and analytical results are verified using experimental investigations, or respectively, used to supplement experiments by aquiring the entire flow field or allowing parameters and boundary conditions to be adjusted more frequently.
In today’s industrial environment, a strong practical orientation is held in high regard. Alongside pure research, the goal of the department is also application oriented research, for instance the realization of projects with industrial applications. A mixture of fundamental research and research closer to industry is carried out here. Through good reputation in industry, the job placement of students is improved. Industrial Projects are also carried out using funds from a third party (e.g. EU funded frame works), in order to guarantee the continuation of work on research projects even amid the quickly changing goals of industry.