Design and Simulation of Wind Turbines
The introduction will take place on Friday 18 October 12:30 pm via
The course "Design and Simulation of Wind Turbines" is about the active transfer of knowledge about the process of design, simulation and certification of horizontal axis wind turbines. Throughout the semester, the four steps in wind turbine design (Aerodynamic design - Aerodynamic Simulation - Structural Design - Aeroelastic Simulation) will be covered using examples of research wind turbines (NREL5MW, DTU10MW).
Each seminar is divided into three parts:
- Part 1. An input by the instructor about aerodynamic, structural and aeroelastic design and simulation methodology and principal design theories.
- Part 2. A written exercise carried out by the participating students in order to deepen the understanding of part I and discuss uncertainties.
- Part 3. A supervised programming tasks in design and simulation of wind turbines based on the acquired knowledge of part 1 and part 2.
Software used within the seminar are "QBlade"(Wind Turbine Design and Simulation - developed at TU Berlin) as well as a selection of pre- and post processing tools for aeroelastic wind turbine simulation (FAST, IECWind, PDAP). Through application examples, simulations and supervised programming tasks, the students are given competences in the independent handling of the wind turbine design software "QBlade". The course covers airfoil selection, aerodynamic & structural blade design and aeroelastic simulations using the NREL software FAST - Code (Fatigue, Aerodynamics, Structures and Turbulence).
Students attending this course will be learning the basic design methods of horizontal axis wind turbines and carry out certification-relevant Design Load Case simulations according to the DIN 61400. Existing knowledge from previous lectures is deliberately deepened and expanded. In addition, the course prepares the participating students for assignments in the area of wind energy research by dealing with scientific-oriented questions.
Students from the following fields course will be able to include this module into their course of studies. Please refer to your module lists for further details
- M.Sc Regenerative Energiesysteme
- M.Sc Physikalische Ingenieurwissenschaften
- M.Sc Patentingenieurwesen
- M.Sc Gebäudeenergiesysteme
- M.Sc Maschinenbau
- M.Sc Wirtschaftsingenieurwesen
- M.Sc Technomathematik
If your course of studies is not listed above, contact your Prüfungsobmann/Prüfungsobfrau to include the course in your personal module list.
Please note that basic knowledge about wind energy (Wind Energie- Grundlagen - or similar) is highly recommended for the attendance of this course.
The course will take place Fridays from 12:15 am to approx. 3 pm
The introduction is online on Friday 22 October 12:15 am :
For further questions, please contact: